We offer Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowships of up to $15,000 to cover expenses for the recipient while working on a dissertation consistent with NITC's theme of:
Improving the mobility of people and goods to build strong communities.
Download the RFP: Fall 2017 Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowship (closed Oct. 2017) The next RFP cycle for this grant will open in January 2018. Sign up for our newsletter to receive updates.
NITC fellowships are open to students currently enrolled in a transportation-related doctoral program at Portland State University, University of Oregon, Oregon Institute of Technology, University of Arizona, University of Texas at Arlington or University of Utah.
Students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and have advanced to candidacy for the Ph.D. degree prior to the application deadline.
CURRENT GRANT TIMELINE
NITC offers three rounds of Dissertation Fellowships competitions each year - see Funding Opportunities for specific dates every January, June and August.
- Proposals Open: August 2017
- Proposals Due: October 23, 2017 at 5pm PDT
- Fellowship selection and awards: Oct 23 - Nov 20, 2017
- Fellowship begins: Dec 04, 2017
- Dissertation fellowships do NOT require match
- Bi-annual progress reports that highlight the accomplishments and impact of the project
- Submission of a digital copy of the final dissertation
- Submission of a data product that accompanies research findings
- Other requirements as outlined in the PI Handbook and as required by NITC's funder
Proposals will be reviewed by the NITC Executive Committee. Successful fellowship proposals will combine advanced research with applied projects that fit the NITC theme, linking to articulated USDOT priorities of improving mobility of people and goods to build strong communities.
FORMS AND DOCUMENTS
Download the following documents from Application Forms:
- Dissertation proposal form
- Data management guide & template
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your proposal application form and data management plan by logging into: http://ppms.trec.pdx.edu/. Select "Dissertation Fellowships 2017" grant cycle when submitting your fellowship request.
This NITC grant is part of the University Transportation Center program, funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation, and is a partnership between Portland State University (PSU), the Oregon Institute of Technology (Oregon Tech), University of Arizona (UA), University of Oregon (UO), University of Utah (UU), and University of Texas at Arlington (UTA).