NITC offers Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowships of up to $15,000 to cover expenses for the recipient while working on a dissertation. This grant is part of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s University Transportation Center (UTC) program, whose mission is to advance U.S. technology and expertise in transportation through education, research, and technology transfer at university-based centers. See utc.dot.gov for more information.
Download NITC's Fall 2017 RFP for Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowships.
NITC contributes to transportation projects that support innovations in
improving mobility of people and goods to build strong communities.
NITC fellowships are open to students currently enrolled in a transportation-related doctoral program at Portland State University, University of Oregon, Oregon Institute of Technology, University of Arizona, University of Texas at Arlington or University of Utah.
Students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and have advanced to candidacy for the Ph.D. degree prior to the application deadline.
- Proposals Due: October 23, 2017 at 5pm PDT
- Fellowship selection and awards: Oct 23 - Nov 20, 2017
- Fellowship begins: Dec 04, 2017
- Dissertation fellowships do NOT require match
- Bi-annual progress reports that highlight the accomplishments and impact of the project
- Submission of a digital copy of the final dissertation
- Submission of a data product that accompanies research findings
- Other requirements as outlined in the PI Handbook and as required by NITC's funder
Proposals will be reviewed by the Executive Committee. Successful fellowship proposals will combine advanced research with applied projects that fit the NITC theme, linking to articulated USDOT priorities of improving mobility of people and goods to build strong communities.
Forms and Documents
Navigate to 'Application Forms' to download the following documents:
- Dissertation proposal form
- Data management guide & template
How to Apply
Submit your completed proposal application form and data management plan by logging into: http://ppms.trec.pdx.edu/. Select "Dissertation Fellowships 2017" grant cycle when submitting your fellowship request.
NITC offers three rounds of Dissertation Fellowships competitions each year - see Funding Opportunities for specific dates every January, June and August.