Are you a current NITC-funded researcher or interested in our grant opportunities? See key requirements and resources to manage your current grant or prepare a new grant application.
To apply to one of our grant cycles, Principal Investigators (PIs) have to be a member of our consortium that include the Portland State University, Oregon Insitute of Technology, University of Arizona, University of Oregon, University of Texas at Arlington, and the University of Utah. Please use the navigation pane on the left to explore the various grants NITC offers, including their timelines.
If you are funded, NITC requires PIs to comply with all grant requirements as this ensures the integrity of the project throughout the grant cycle and allows NITC to meet all of its federal reporting requirements of its funder, U.S. DOT. Successful adherence to grant obligations and past performance on budget, schedule, and project requirements will be used as a review criterion for future proposals submitted by PIs.
PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR'S HANDBOOK
Please read the Principal Investigators' Handbook (PDF) (updated Sept 2018) prior to embarking on your project to better understand the requirements as well as the benefits you gain from being funded and supported by NITC.
General Research grants require a 1:1.2 (120%) match, and all other grants require a 1:1 (100%) match. It is the responsibility the PI's university to document and report all match.
- Match FAQ
- Sample Match Commitment Letter: In-Kind
- Sample Match Commitment Letter: Cash
- Cost Share Certification Form
- Rebudget Request
The NITC Progress Reports are required of all PI's, as they are critical to our bi-annual reporting of performance measures to our federal funder the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- PIs must show reportable progress throughout the life of a project.PIs are responsible for submitting bi-annual progress reports using NITC's project management system (PPMS) on each of their projects. Progress reports are due on March 30 and September 30 during each calendar year as long as the project is active.
- A project is not complete until the final report has been approved by NITC and a final progress report has been submitted via PPMS.
- Completed progress reports and current project status are considered before awarding subsequent grants to PIs. If your project is significantly delayed, you may be barred from competing in NITC grant competitions until current grant requirements are met.
We strongly encourage sharing the results of research projects at national conferences and in refereed journals. Researchers should provide copies of all papers submitted to conferences or journals to NITC, and include appropriate attribution to NITC. Seminars, symposia, distance learning classes and any education or technology transfer activities undertaken with NITC support requires collection of metrics on numbers of transportation professionals attending. Video or streaming web archives that can be posted on the NITC website are welcome. Please add activities and metrics to your progress report even if they occur AFTER you project is complete.
For questions about progress reports and other grant requirements, please contact the Research Program Administrator Brendan Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org).
No-cost extensions are due no later than 1 month prior to the end date of a project and are not to exceed 6 months from the date of the project award (see award letter date). Investigators must clearly justify the need for a no-cost extension in the context of their research plan and the work completed so far. To submit a request:
- Log into PPMS
- Update your progress report
- Submit the online No-Cost Extension form. See detailed Instructions on Submitting a No-Cost Extension (PDF).
- Print the form as a PDF
- Email the form to NITC's Research Program Administrator (email@example.com)
Once the request is approved, PSU PIs will be notified by their DRA. PIs from partner institutions will receive an email from PSU's financial office once an amended task order is issued to the institution.
Researchers are required to submit a final report summarizing of research activities and findings, including educational and technology transfer activities. The final report serves as the technical documentation of the research and project undertaken.
Draft final report requirements & process:
- Should conform to NITC template style guidelines and cover page specifications.
- Must be submitted 30 days prior to the official end date of the project.
- Will be peer-reviewed and copy-edited during a two-month review process.
- Researchers are responsible for incorporating peer-review comments into the final report within 30 days after receiving the peer reviews.
Below are the forms needed to apply for NITC funding opportunities. To submit your completed abstract or proposal package, log into our research project portal PPMS. Need help? See Resources for how to use PPMS.
- Translating Research to Practice Proposal Form (May 2021)
- General Research Proposal Form (updated May 2021)
- Transportation and Racial Equity Curriculum Resources Proposal Form (May 2021)
- Dissertation Fellowships Proposal Form (updated May 2021)
- Education Proposal Form (updated Feb 2020)
- Diversity Proposal Form
- Data Management Plan - Guide & Template (updated May 2021)
- (PSU only) Proposal Internal Approval Form
- Translate Research to Practice Budget Form
- Transportation and Racial Equity Curriculum Resources Budget Form
- General Budget Template (updated May 2021)
- Budget Sample
Other Forms and Documents:
Vetted by the U.S. DOT, this plan guides our center’s consideration of technology transfer potential and readiness for all research projects funded through NITC. Included is a clear process map which will ensure research results are being effectively communicated, deployed and implemented within the transportation industry and community.
PPMS is the Project Proposal Management System of the Transportation Research and Education Center (TREC) that is used by TREC and the National Institute for Transportation and Communities (NITC) to manage proposal submissions, peer reviews, and active projects.
- PPMS Abstract Proposal Submission (PDF)
- PPMS Completing Progress Reports (PDF)
- PPMS Submitting Draft Final Report (PDF)
- PPMS Submitting NoCost Extension (PDF)