We offer Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowships of up to $15,000 to cover expenses for the recipient while working on a dissertation consistent with NITC's theme of improving the mobility of people and goods to build strong communities.
NITC is now accepting applications for its Spring 2019 Dissertation Fellowships. Applications are due February 11, 2019.
We open applications three times each year, and 2020 dates will closely follow 2019 dates (see funding overview). Sign up for our newsletter to receive updates.
NITC fellowships are open to students currently enrolled in a transportation-related doctoral program at Portland State University, University of Oregon, Oregon Institute of Technology, University of Arizona, University of Texas at Arlington or University of Utah.
Students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and have advanced to candidacy for the Ph.D. degree prior to the application deadline.
CURRENT GRANT TIMELINE
- Proposals Open: Dec 1, 2018
- Proposals Due: Feb 11, 2019 at 5pm PST
- Fellowship review and selection: Feb - Mar 2019
- Fellowship begins: April 01, 2019
- Dissertation fellowships do NOT require match
- Bi-annual progress reports that highlight the accomplishments and impact of the project
- Submission of a digital copy of the final dissertation
- Submission of a data product that accompanies research findings
- Other requirements as outlined in the PI Handbook and as required by NITC's funder
PROPOSAL EVALUATION CRITERIA
Proposals will be reviewed by the NITC Executive Committee. Successful fellowship proposals will combine advanced research with applied projects that fit the NITC theme, linking to articulated U.S.DOT priorities of improving mobility of people and goods to build strong communities.
FORMS AND DOCUMENTS
Download the following documents from Application Forms:
- Dissertation proposal form
- Data management guide & template
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your proposal application form and data management plan by logging into: http://ppms.trec.pdx.edu/. Select "Dissertation Fellowships 2019" grant cycle when submitting your fellowship request.
This NITC grant is part of the University Transportation Center program, funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation, and is a partnership between Portland State University (PSU), the Oregon Institute of Technology (Oregon Tech), University of Arizona (UA), University of Oregon (UO), University of Utah (UU), and University of Texas at Arlington (UTA).