The National Institute for Transportation and Communities (NITC) provides an opportunity to apply for funds to support underrepresented undergraduate and graduate students participating in transportation research. The purpose of these awards is to expose and encourage women and students of color to transportation research and job training opportunities.
The following are examples of the kinds of activities we hope to support:
- Adding underrepresented student researchers to existing NITC research projects
- Funding additional hours for existing underrepresented students
- Provide exposure to transportation professionals through work with match partners
Items that will not be supported by this initiative:
- Travel not essential to performing project tasks
Please contact NITC's Tech Transfer and Workfore Development Manager, Lisa Patterson
, prior to submitting your funding request.
- 1:1 match is required
- Bi-annual progress reports that highlight student contributions to project
- Funded students must submit a final 2-page memo describing the research and/or professional opportunities and the impact on their education
Faculty members and research faculty eligible to serve as Principal Investigators (PIs) from Portland State University, University of Oregon, Oregon Institute of Technology, University of Arizona, University of Texas at Arlington or University of Utah may submit proposals. PIs with currently funded NITC projects must be in good standing with no overdue reports or requirements.
There are no specific application deadlines for this grant as funding is awarded on a rolling basis. Funds must be used within 12 months of the award date.
Forms and Documents
Navigate to 'Application Forms' to download the following documents:
- Diversity Grant Proposal Form
- Non-Research Budget Form
How to Apply
Submit completed proposal and budget forms by logging into: http://ppms.trec.pdx.edu/. Select the “Student Diversity Grants” grant cycle to submit your funding request.