Annually, we fund general research through a competitive, peer-reviewed RFP process for projects ($30,000 - $150,000) consistent with our theme of:
Improving the mobility of people and goods to build strong communities.
Download the RFP: 2018 General Research Announcement (PDF)
The RFP for this grant cycle opens in the Spring of each year, sign up for our newsletter to receive updates.
Faculty members and research faculty eligible to serve as Principal Investigators (PIs) at Portland State University, Oregon Institute of Technology, University of Arizona, University of Oregon, University of Utah, or University of Texas at Arlington may submit proposals.
HOW TO APPLY
All proposers must first submit a proposal abstract online (http://ppms.trec.pdx.edu/). The abstract should consist of 1-2 paragraphs describing the project objectives and proposed methods. The abstract should also briefly explain how it fits the NITC theme. NITC will only accept proposals for projects for which the PI has submitted an abstract online. The abstract is used for two purposes: to make sure that the project fits the NITC theme, and to aid staff in identifying potential peer reviewers. A PI may decide for other reasons not to submit a proposal after submitting an abstract. However, a PI may not submit a proposal for which an abstract was not submitted. Abstracts are due April 2, 2018 at 5:00 PM PDT.
Project Proposals, Budgets, and Data Management Plans
Complete the proposal form and the Data Management Plan as a PDF and the budget form as an Excel spreadsheet and submit online (http://ppms.trec.pdx.edu/). Proposals are typically 10 to 12 pages long. Do not use prior year forms. All documents are due May 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM PDT. Incomplete or late proposal packages will not be considered.
CURRENT GRANT TIMELINE
- RFP issued: February 1, 2018
- Abstracts due: April 2, 2018, 5pm PDT
- Proposals due: May 1, 2018, 5pm PDT
- Peer review of proposals: May - June 2018
- Project selection, awards and task orders: June-August 2018
- Projects begin: August 1 - September 1, 2018
- All progress reports due: September 30, 2018
- All progress reports due: March 30 , 2019
- All progress reports due: September 30, 2019
All awards require a 1:1.2 (120%) non-federal match (unless otherwise noted) in the form of cash or in-kind services from project partners—to include universities, transportation and other public agencies, industry, and nonprofit organizations. Learn more about this requirement.
FORMS AND DOCUMENTS
- Request for Proposals (PDF) (updated Feb 1, 2018)
- General Research Proposal Form (updated Feb 1, 2018)
- Budget Template (NEW Format January 2018)
- Budget Sample (NEW January 2018)
- Data Management Plan - Guide & Template (NEW March 2017)
- Proposal Internal Approval Form (PSU Applicants only) (updated March 2017)
- Sign in at http://ppms.trec.pdx.edu/ to submit your abstract and proposal
- PPMS: Abstract & Proposal Submission (PDF) (NEW February 2018)
This NITC grant is part of the University Transportation Center program, funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation, and is a partnership between Portland State University (PSU), the Oregon Institute of Technology (Oregon Tech), University of Arizona (UA), University of Oregon (UO), University of Utah (UU), and University of Texas at Arlington (UTA).