The Small Starts grants assist researchers (based at NITC partner universities) who are interested in transportation but have not had an opportunity to undertake a small project ($20,000 or less) consistent with NITC's theme of:
Improving the mobility of people and goods to build strong communities.
Faculty members and research faculty eligible to serve as Principal Investigators (PIs) at Portland State University, Oregon Institute of Technology, University of Arizona, University of Oregon, University of Texas at Arlington and University of Utah may submit proposals.
CURRENT GRANT TIMELINE
- Proposal Due: September 15, 2017
- Award Selection: Sept-Oct 2017
- Projects begin & funds become available: November 1, 2017
- Funds must be expended by: October 31, 2018
- 1:1 match is required
- Bi-annual progress reports that highlight the accomplishments and impact of the project
- A deliverable, such as a final report or comparable product, that summarizes research findings
- Submission of a data product that accompanies research findings
- Other requirements as outlined in the PI Handbook and required by NITC's funder
Items which will not be supported by this initiative:
- Travel not essential to conducting research or performing project tasks
- A student-led activity or research
- Equipment over $5,000
- Long-term personnel support
PROPOSAL EVALUATION CRITERIA
The NITC Executive Committee and a subset of the Advisory Board will review the proposals. We recommend you discuss your project idea with the Executive Comnittee member of your NITC campus prior to submitting your funding request.
- Examples of research we hope to support:
- Demonstrate a proof of concept aimed at additional research
- Activity aimed at assisting local agencies in implementing research results
- Release time for a faculty member to work on research
- Preliminary data collection to support research concept
- Key factors:
- Clarity and intellectual merit of research focus, project description, and timeline
- Fit with NITC’s theme of Improving Mobility of People and Goods to Build Strong Communities
- Probability of success
- Priority (not exclusively) will be given to:
- Faculty who have not received a NITC grant in the past
- Untenured faculty, or
- Interdisciplinary projects
FORMS AND DOCUMENTS
Download the following documents from Application Forms:
- Small Starts Propoal Form
- Small Starts Budget Form
- Data Management Guide & Template
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your completed proposal form, budget, and data management plan by logging into: http://ppms.trec.pdx.edu/. Select “Small Starts 2017” grant cycle to submit your funding request.
This NITC grant is part of the University Transportation Center program, funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation, and is a partnership between Portland State University (PSU), the Oregon Institute of Technology (Oregon Tech), University of Arizona (UA), University of Oregon (UO), University of Utah (UU), and University of Texas at Arlington (UTA).