To maximize the implementation of U.S. DOT’s commitment to livable communities, the National Institute for Transportation and Communities (NITC) has launched its third round of pooled fund research funding in 2018.
Agency partners are invited to submit problem statements by May 15, 2018 (see solicitation).
The pooled fund program offers a process by which cities, counties, MPOs and other regional or local agencies can pool relatively small pots of research dollars to then leverage NITC matched funds for a single, collaborative project.
To date, NITC has supported two pooled fund projects to address transportation problems facing cities around the country:
- a resource to provide Contextual Guidance at Intersections for Protected Bicycle Lanes, and
- the creation of an Online Non-motorized Traffic Count Archive, which has since evolved into Bike-Ped Portal.
In both cases, agencies from around the country collectively contributed financial resources ranging from $1,000 to $50,000 for the project. NITC matched the total amount, resulting in substantial funding for research projects that the partners would have not been able to achieve on their own.
Partnering agencies work with NITC staff to develop a clear problem statement and identify match partners. NITC then issues the request for proposals (RFP) for a response from researchers at our partner universities of Portland State University, Oregon Institute of Technology, University of Arizona, University of Oregon, University of Texas at Arlington, and University of Utah. The intention is to raise at least $75,000 and up to $100,000 of matching funds that, once combined with NITC funding, support a research project with a budget between $150,000 and $200,000.
Timeline for 2018
Problem Statement Solicitation & Selection (Issued to Partners)
- Feb 15, 2018 Request for Research Problem Statement released
- May 15, 2018 Research Problem Statement from agency partners due
- June 1, 2018 NITC's Executive Committee reviews and selects statement
- July 31, 2018 All match secured from agency partners (match commitment letters due)
*RFP Release & Proposal Selection (Issued to Consortium Members)
- Aug 15, 2018 Pooled Fund RFP released to consortium members
- Sept 6, 2018 Abstracts due
- Oct 1, 2018 Proposals due
- Oct - Nov 2018 Review of proposals, project selection, task order(s) issued
- Dec 1, 2018 Project begins
*Timeline for RFP depends on match being secured by July 31, 2018
Forms and Documents for Partners
- Research Problem Statement Solicitation (PDF) (posted February 15, 2018)
- Research Problem Statement Form (posted February 23, 2018)
- Sample Match Commitment Letter (posted April 2018)
Forms and Documents for Consortium Members (Principal Investigators)
- Pooled Fund RFP (to be posted July 2018)
- Pooled Fund Budget Form (to be posted July 2018)